Friday, February 19, 2010

Recipe #110: Vegetable Savory Cheesecake

When I went through my cookbooks, this recipe was at the top of my list to try. It's an appetizer that should taste good with crackers or bagel chips. I substituted emmenthal for parmesan and added a little more garlic. I was also a little lazy, so I put the veggies in the food processor instead of shredding them manually.




Update: I tasted the veggie cheesecake after it had been out of the oven for about an hour. It wasn't very good. It tasted good this morning after it had been in the fridge for the night. It isn't the "go-to appetizer" that I hoped it would be. I'm more interested in trying new appetizer recipes than making it again.



Vegetable Savory Cookbook

from 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles



* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

* 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini

* 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot

* 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

* 2 eggs

* 1/2 cup sour cream

* 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

* 4 garlic cloves, minced

* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme



Preheat oven to 350°; grease an 8-inch springform pan; dust with bread crumbs.

In a big skillet, heat the oil over medium heat; add in zucchini, carrots, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes; let cool.



In a big bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy; beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, thyme, and vegetable mixture; pour into prepared pan.



Place cheesecake pan in a larger pan filled with hot water 1 1/2 inches deep (if you think your springform pan will leak, wrap in foil before putting in the water bath).


No comments: