Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Kitchen Plans

We are working on our plans for renovating our kitchen. Here are photos of our kitchen from the real estate listing of our house (i.e., what our kitchen looks like now but without our stuff in it):





There is nothing wrong with the kitchen, but it isn't our taste and there are a few things that we can do to make a huge difference.

These photos gave me ideas for how I think we should do our kitchen:





As you can tell from the photos, I love checkerboard floors. I don't want it to look too cheesy/retro, country, or NASCAR, so we'll have to be careful about the specific flooring that we choose. I've also noticed that having the tiles laid on an angle really affects the look of the floor.

When we started talking about potential kitchen plans, we thought about replacing the cabinets. However, we realized that our cabinets now are made out of solid wood, and getting new solid wood cabinets would be very expensive. When I looked at the shape of them, I realized that they wouldn't be bad if they were white instead of almond. We are also going to replace the hardware on the cabinets. We're going with polished chrome instead of brass. I have heard that replacing the hardware can make a huge difference.

We are planning to do butcher block countertops with a white, subway tile backsplash. We're also planning to paint the walls a very pale (almost white) gray.

Hopefully all of these ideas will work out well...

No comments: