Monday, January 11, 2010

Color in the Kitchen (and Other Fun Kitchen Details)

I love the look of an all-white kitchen-- white walls, white cabinets, white marble countertops, white subway tile backsplashes.  Although we're going for a bright, simple look, all white isn't quite us.  We are planning to do the white cabinets and backsplash but want to add a little color variation to the walls (light gray), countertops (sealed, shiny butcher block)and the floors (checkerboard).  We are using accent pieces to add some bright color to the room.  It will be a few months before we are ready to purchase these pieces; these are my ideas right now....

1. Inspirational Wall-hanging.  My mother-in-law gave my sister-in-law a great wall hanging for Christmas.  It is a painted plank of wood with a fun quote on it.  I want to try making a similar wall hanging.  My plan is to get a long plank of wood, paint it a fun color (maybe yellow or red), and stencil the following quote on it:

"Today well-lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope."

I haven't stenciled since elementary school, but it shouldn't be difficult, should it?  I think that this piece will go perfectly above our cabinets.

2. Chalkboard.  I have seen several photos recently of chalkboards in kitchens.  I think it is a useful idea that will add a great contrast in my kitchen.





Photo from the December 09/January 10 issue of House Beautiful

I am also planning to paint the frame of the blackboard a bright color, like kelly green, to add excitement to the room.

3.  Rooster. We bought a green, tin rooster for my sister-in-law for Christmas.  I am hoping that the boutique still stocks them in a couple of months when I am not totally broke from the holidays.  The red rooster in the photo below is similar to the one I have in mind. 




I think that a piece like that (or another similarly bright, funky item) will look good on a table.  I just need to make sure I don't bring anything in that makes my kitchen look country.

4. "EAT."  I think this bright sign from Pottery Barn could be be a fun addition to the room, depending on the other accessories that I bring in.




5. Calendar.  When I was little, my grandparents kept a calendar on the basement door in the kitchen.  It tracked everyone's birthdays and important events.  I like the idea of doing the same thing in our kitchen.  These are some of the calendars that I think would work well in our kitchen:






 

The Kate Spade Wall Calendar (I doubt Pres will agree to this one)








6. Key Holder. My grandparents' house also had a key holder in the kitchen that always seemed to come in handy.  I think I might pick up one of these from Anthropologie.









No comments: