Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Recipe #169: Chicken Tacos with a Grapefruit and Avocado Salsa




This dish is one of my favorites and is probably the best dish I've found on Pinterest/blogs.  I actually combined a couple of recipes and modified them to get exactly what I wanted.  The marinade recipe is actually for scallops but was delicious on chicken.  We ended up leaving the chicken in it for a couple of day (mainly because we wanted to grill and it wouldn't stop raining).  The salsa recipe is for fish tacos, but it was delicious on chicken tacos, too.  Because I'm still doing the whole South Beach diet thing, I used a whole grain tortilla instead of flour tortillas (Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas).  We added some reduced fat sour cream and cheddar cheese, but I don't think it really needed the cheese.  Pres grilled the chicken on the Big Green Egg.  Delicious!  When I had leftovers for lunch today, I just put the chicken over a bed of spinach with the salsa and sour cream, as I'm limiting my intake of grains.  It was still a treat!


Grapefruit Jalapeño Marinade
Modified from The Cooking Spree Blog























Grated zest of 1 grapefruit


Juice of 2 grapefruits (about 1-1/3 cups, and pulp is fine)


1/4 cup minced jalapeño chilies (WITH the seeds!)


1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


1/4 cup chopped scallions


1/3 cup dry vermouth


3 Tbl. olive oil, plus more for brushing for the grill


Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper (white, if you have
it)





Combine ingredients and marinade chicken for at least 24 hours.









From The Foodie Bride Blog
























1/2 large
grapefruit, segmented and chopped


1 small
avocado, diced


1/4 cup
chopped red onion


1 Tbsp lime
juice


2 Tbsp
chopped cilantro


2 Tbsp
chopped jalapeno


1/2 large
red bell pepper, chopped


Salt and
Pepper





To make the
salsa, toss the grapefruit, avocado, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno,
red bell pepper, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.



No comments: