Thursday, September 30, 2010

Applesauce

I am making homemade applesauce tonight, and it is making the house smell great.  I take that back.  As I starting typing, it smelled great.  Then I burnt it.  Blast.  I am still going to put it in the food processor when it cools down.  Hopefully it won't taste too funky.  I did not add the creme fraiche.



Rustic Applesauce
from Cooking Light

* 4 cups cubed peeled Braeburn or Pink Lady apple
* 4 cups cubed peeled Granny Smith apple
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
* 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Dash of salt
* 2 tablespoons crème fraîche


Combine first 8 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook 25 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat; mash to desired consistency with a fork or potato masher. Stir in crème fraîche. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
140 (12% from fat)
Fat:
1.8g (sat 1g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.2g)
Protein:
0.3g
Carbohydrate:
32.5g
Fiber:
2.3g
Cholesterol:
3mg
Iron:
0.5mg
Sodium:
30mg
Calcium:
31mg

No comments: