Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recipe #163: White Beans with Rosemary and Garlic

I made this recipe on Sunday while I was making the broccoli and arugula soup.  Very easy, delicious, healthy, and cheap!  It will be added to the regular rotation.  The only change I made was adding chicken broth at the end to thin it out some.    I also added broth when I heated it up in the microwave yesterday.   It was delicious plain, but I also think it would be tasty with quinoa or bulgar.






White Beans with Rosemary and Garlic
From The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters



1 cup dried white beans
salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon coarsely chopped rosemary leaves (I used 1/2 tsp dried)
Soak the beans overnight in 4 cups of water.
Drain and transfer to a heavy pot. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and skim off the foam. Simmer gently for 2 hours or so, until the beans are tender. Add more water if necessary during the cooking. Season to taste with salt.
In a skillet over low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and rosemary. Cook just until the garlic is soft, about 2 minutes. Stir into the beans, taste for salt, and adjust as needed. Let the dish sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to marry.

No comments: